We have seen the world around us change rapidly in the past couple of decades. With industrialization and globalization on the rise, the world truly seems like a global village. Such large scale industrialization of things has led to the extensive usage of resources that are scarce and nonrenewable, which has amounted to be a serious problem now. The effects of climate change are felt now more than ever, so people must become conscious of their actions towards the environment. Even the smallest habits could have a big impact on our environment.
Water is an inseparable part of a living being’s life, one simply cannot live without it. It may seem that this renewable natural resource is found in abundance on the earth; 71% of our planet’s surface is covered in it. But most of this water is not good enough for regular usage, only about 0.3% of the total water is usable by humans. This makes it an extremely crucial resource that must not be misused, as a man cannot survive without it.
Unfortunately, humans have not been able to maintain this resource. The effects of rapid industrialization, wastage of water, and effects of global warming have led to water scarcity in many parts of the world. This is a big concern and must be addressed at once. Changing even the smallest of habits can lead to the solution to this major problem. Taking a shower is something people do every day, without even thinking about how much water gets wasted in the process; we end up using more water than we need.
Everyone loves taking long showers. The warm stream of water hitting your body at the end of a long hard day is just what you need to relax and de-stress. But people who use any kind of showerhead for bathing often do not realize how much water they end up wasting. Because of the constant flow of water, it is difficult to physically see how much water is actually being used. This also has an impact on your water bill, you end up paying more. But with a small change, you could help save the environment and save your water bill too. Opting for an eco-friendly showerhead with handheld combo could be a small and simple solution to reduce the wastage of water. Doing this every day will collectively have a positive impact on both the environment and your pocket.
What is an eco-friendly showerhead?
An eco-friendly shower head is one that limits the usage of water in gallons per minute (GPM). Where a regular shower head dispenses 2.5 gallons per minute, an eco-friendly one dispenses 0.7 GPM less than that, which adds up to save significant amounts of water in the long run. So you can enjoy the long showers you like without the guilt of wasting a lot of water when you use an eco-friendly showerhead with handheld combo.
How does it work?
The eco-friendly showerhead uses less water than normal, so people may assume that the force of water is also less, but that is not true. The showerhead is designed in a manner that the water jets have enough force to dispense water like a regular showerhead. The water jets are angled in such a way that the water collides in a manner that it fans out and has just as much, if not more, a force as a regular shower head. There are also showerheads that turn the water into millions of drops like a mist, which cover more surface area on the body.
Pros of an eco-friendly showerhead:
- Water-saving: This is the most prominent one out of all. As stated earlier, a regular showerhead consumes 2.5 GPM of water, whereas an eco-friendly showerhead consumes 0.7 GPM less than that, around 1.8 GPM. This will have a big impact on the amount of water you use around your house in the long run. This allows you to have the best of both worlds, which is taking long showers and saving water at the same time.
- Cost-effective: The amount of water you can save throughout the year by just replacing your regular showerhead with an eco-friendly showerhead has a huge impact on your personal water consumption as well as on the environment. You can save thousands of gallons of water without even realizing it. This will significantly reduce your water bill, given that your showerhead tends to take up a big chunk of the water you use on a daily basis. You end up saving a good chunk of money that would otherwise be spent on paying your water bill.
- Value for money: At first, getting an eco-friendly showerhead with handheld combo installed in your bathroom will come with a price. But the amount of money you end up saving on water bills when using an eco-friendly showerhead makes a great investment piece. An eco-friendly showerhead pretty much pays for itself, thanks to how much it lets you save on your bills.
- Works just like a regular showerhead: As the eco-friendly showerhead uses less water than the regular one, people often think the water pressure is not as good as the regular showerhead. Water pressure is important for an enjoyable shower. Even though the eco-friendly one uses less water, it is designed in such a way that the water pressure is just as high as in the regular showerhead.
Cons of an eco-friendly showerhead:
- Replacement cost: Getting new equipment fitted in the home comes with a price. An eco-friendly showerhead is not exactly cheap, so you have to put down an amount towards getting it fit. But the good thing is that you can make back the cost of replacing your regular showerhead with an eco-friendly one. The eco-friendly showerhead may be costly at first but does turn out to be very useful in the long run.
If you are someone who enjoys taking long showers under the running water, it may be time to make a conscious choice by switching to an eco-friendly showerhead to save not only the environment around you but also your personal water bill expenses.