A modular kitchen is the newest cool thing to have in your home nowadays. It makes for a great accent in your beautifully decorated home, afterall a pretty kitchen does look inviting. If you are looking to upgrade your home and give it a new fun style, your kitchen can be the place where you start. Remodeling and redecorating a home on your own can be a stressful task but the finished result is equally satisfying and worth it.
When it comes to kitchens, there are a lot of small as well as big details that need to be taken care of before redecorating it. Depending on the usage and purpose, you can pick out the designs and equipment you would like in your kitchen. There are other things like the material of the equipment and its compatibility with your appliances that need to be taken care of in order to have a smooth and fully functioning kitchen.
One of the most integral parts of a kitchen is its sink and faucet. Come to think of it, a kitchen without a sink is like having a car without fuel in it. It will be really difficult, maybe next to impossible, if you try to operate a kitchen without a sink. So picking the perfect kitchen sink and faucet is of the utmost importance when redesigning your kitchen. But is it all that easy to find the right sink and faucet for your kitchen?
There are many types of sinks and faucets available in the market. Some are more heavy-duty than others, while some act as a beautiful accent piece in your newly designed kitchen. With all the types of sinks available, it may get confusing and tricky to pick the perfect one for you. There are certain things you need to consider before you decide on the kind of sink you want in your kitchen.
Here is a guide on how to pick the perfect kitchen sink and faucet:
- Define the purpose: Before you go looking for a sink and faucet, determine how much you are going to use it. Not everyone uses their kitchen intensively. Some people barely get the time to cook in their kitchen, so for them, a lesser heavy-duty kitchen sink will do the job. If you are someone who spends a lot of time in the kitchen, you may need a kitchen sink and faucet that is built for heavy usage and made out of sturdy material.
- Pick the material: Now that you know how much you will use the sink, you can go ahead and look for the right material for the sink. For more heavy usage, a stainless steel sink is preferred as it is built for use over a long period of time. If you don’t like the metallic look of stainless steel, you can also get a cast iron sink with ceramic coating or a composite granite sink. Although ceramic offers a better look, it is prone to quicker wear and tear as the ceramic coating can get scratched and wear off with continued usage; and granite is much less durable than steel. Also, if you want a sink that doesn’t make too much noise when utensils are handled in it, you can opt for a thick stainless steel sink as the thicker material will help in absorbing the sound.
- A number of sinks: This is yet another important thing to consider. Once you know how much or how little you are going to use the kitchen sink, you need to decide how many sinks you will need in your kitchen. Normally, many homes have two sinks to work with their dishes and other things. If you have a dishwasher in your kitchen, you may not need two sinks. The number of kitchen sinks you need may also depend on the load of dishes you have on a regular basis.
- Depth of the sink: This may not seem like an important thing to consider but is crucial in the process. Nobody likes a kitchen sink that is overflowing with dirty dishes. To avoid this problem, you must get a kitchen sink that is in the right depth to hold all the dishes that you regularly use. A kitchen sink is usually set into your counter, so you will have enough space to hold a deep sink in the kitchen. The deeper the sink, the better the capacity.
- Type of faucet: A kitchen sink is incomplete and pretty much useless without a faucet. The faucet should be sleek and stylish yet equally heavy-duty and sturdy. There are many types of faucets, like the ones that are fixed, ones that can rotate and extend, and the pull-down kitchen faucet. You can pick one according to your convenience. The pull-down kitchen faucet is the most useful out of all the sinks in the market, but it tends to be on the higher end of the price range. It not only looks sleek but also offers you the comfort of working however you want to. The pull-down feature allows you to pull out the sprayer and use it wherever you need it in the sink, you don’t have to move things to keep them under the water stream.
- The durability of the faucet: The durability of kitchen equipment is very important to ensure longevity. As faucets are regularly used heavily in kitchens, it becomes important to choose the faucet that’s durable. The durability of a faucet is determined by the material of its disk valves. Most faucets use a ball, cartridge, or ceramic disk valves. The most durable of all is the ceramic disk valve.
- Size and look of the faucet: You want to match the size of your faucet with the size of your sink, you don’t want an excessively big faucet for a relatively small sink. Also, you should match the faucet with the sink in terms of its look as well; like a metallic faucet looks best with a metallic sink.